Here are 5 glorious benefits of coffee PLUS some quick and easy ways to get the best benefits for beautiful skin!
Coffee…that delish way to wake up in the mornings, the perfect pick-me-up in the afternoon, and if decaf, the perfect end to a meal. But what if I told you that it’s not only your taste buds that love that perky drink? Your skin loves it just as much! Surprised? Here are 5 glorious benefits of coffee for glowing skin:
First off, the caffeine in coffee is a natural constrictor. When it comes to skin, especially aging skin, this is a lovely benefit as it helps reduce pore size and decreases the appearance of fine lines!
Secondly, coffee is said to reduce redness which is a sure help if you have puffy skin under your eyes. Plus, by reducing redness your skin will have an overall evenly toned appearance.
Thirdly, coffee is a diuretic which helps to reduce inflammation in skin. Some say this even carries over to reducing the appearance of cellulite because coffee reduces the fatty cells.
Fourthly, coffee makes a wonderful exfoliator to help remove dead skin cells and reveal the youthful new skin underneath, giving your appearance an overall glow and dewy look!
Fifth but definitely not last because there are many, many more benefits of coffee that we’ve only begun to touch on: Although we’re primarily focused on the benefits of coffee for skin, it IS said that coffee also stimulates hair growth and strengthens the hair shaft. So now that you know the 5 glorious benefits of coffee for beautiful skin, what are some ways to use it to get the best benefits for your skin?
Besides the obvious and drinking your coffee, here are some quick and easy ways you can get those amazing benefits of coffee!
1. If you’re in a rush to get ready for the day and notice you have puffy eyes, no worries! Pour yourself a cup of Joe and also put about a tablespoon in a ramekin or saucer. Chill the small amount of coffee as you go about your morning routine. Once chilled, take a soft cloth and dip it into the coffee and apply to under your eyes. Hold for about 10 seconds, then redip cloth and repeat 3-4 times under each eye. You can also use this same technique using a little more chilled coffee for your whole face if you have some blotchiness or need to reduce puffiness.
2. Add coffee to your body or face lotion. You can certainly buy body and face creams, sometimes called butters, that have coffee or even better, coffee essential oil, incorporated like this one, or if you want you can put about a half cup of lotion in a container and whisk in about an eighth of a cup of coffee. Make sure a refrigerate the left-over and use it within a couple of days.
3. Make a coffee scrub! This can be delightful for the shower or tub (just be careful not to slip as the oils can make the shower or tub slippery!) Your skin will feel wonderful after a quick scrub and even better is how soft and dewy it will be using coffee as an exfoliant. You can read more about sugar scrubs and if you could benefit from one here. If you want a quick on-the-spot scrub you could take a small handful of coconut oil, a pinch of arrowroot powder, and about a tablespoon of your coffee grounds from your morning coffee and gently massage on areas like elbows, knees and feet. If your face reacts okay to coconut oil you can use it on your face too! If you need a non-comedogenic oil instead for your face sub out the coconut oil and use an oil like argan, hemp or sunflower oil instead. Another option is to use a scrub and soap combination for easy and speed like this one!
4. Don’t forget your lips! Using a protective lip balm that also has coffee will help to reduce fine lines around your lips and if using a moisturizing lip balm like this one will increase the plump effect!
5. Finally if you have left-over coffee from your morning brew pour it over your hair and let it sit for 2-3 min in your morning shower.
OH! And did you know? Coffee made into a soap like this one removes odors from hands like onions, garlic, fish and more! Plus keep one at the mudroom sink for after chores and gardening!