If you have ever watched a commercial or have seen a magazine advertisement about soap products, skincare and beauty items – you have probably noticed the fact that all of these products are highlighted for the “natural” ingredients they use and their ability to fight wrinkles, clear up acne or just maintain skin health. However, did you know that these commercial products do not even come close to having the effects and benefits that natural milk soap and skincare products have?
Different than detergent bars, natural soaps actually help in protecting the skin layers.
In a world full of chemical-laden detergent-based soaps and skincare products filled with preservatives and chemical fragrances it’s easy to lose sight of the fact that all that we really need are a few simple, wholesome natural sources of nourishment for our skin. Goat milk products provide that benefit and a lot more. Different than detergent bars, natural soaps actually help in protecting the skin layers.
Many people think that protecting skin means slathering on lotions and creams only, but true skin care actually STARTS with looking at the type of soap that is being used. Is it a natural soap that will leave the skin’s natural oils intact and therefore moisturized or is it a detergent bar that while cleaning will strip the skin of it’s natural oils, causing dryness and damage to cells wash after wash? Natural soaps not only clean, but work with the body, maintaining the natural ph balance. In addition milk soaps have many added effects but the biggest one is that the milk has properties in it that helps the skin to seal in it’s own moisture. The truth is, there are tons of benefits that make natural milk soaps a more beneficial choice for both women, men, children and even some pets. In fact, the history of using milk in soaps and other skin and body-care products dates to ancient times, mostly because of the kind benefits to skin.
A Gentle pH Touch With Balanced Ingredients
natural goat milk soaps are made with a gentle balance of ingredients that is not harsh or irritating to the skin
natural goat milk soaps are made with a gentle balance of ingredients that is not harsh or irritating to the skin
There are many types of milk-based soaps out there. However, goat milk soaps have been getting the most attention from people who have been amazed by their benefits. The reason for that is the fact that generally natural goat milk soaps are made with a gentle balance of ingredients that is not harsh or irritating to the skin. Even people with sensitive skin and eczema have found milk soaps to not be harsh and drying like most ordinary soap products. But that is only one benefit of these natural milk soap and body care products.
Different Than A Detergent Bar
Typical “soap” sold in stores in not actually a true soap but a slurry of detergents shaped into a bar. A true soap is created by a reaction called saponification that happens when mixing fats and oils with lye which is an alkali or base. Yes, you HAVE to have lye to make true soap. The finished soap will not actually have any lye remaining in it but instead will be soap and a natural by-product called glycerin (a moisturizer in itself) and then whatever additives have been used for scent, color, and texture, if any. This finished product is true soap. Sometime when you’re at the store, look at the ingredients on a detergent bar, even sometimes called a “beauty bar” which is made by combining chemicals and synthetics with maybe a healthy chemically-derived additive for label-appeal. On first glance, these detergent bars are “cheaper” on the wallet…..or are they? You may not pay as much cash up-front for that 1 store-bought “soap”, but how much more are you paying in also having to buy lotions, creams, hair conditioners and other products to try and put the moisture back into your skin? Remember that earlier we said that one of the natural by-products in making soap is glycerin? However in the commercial world this glycerin is removed to then make a second product like hair conditioner, lotion, creams, cosmetics, etc. Hmmmm…do you see where I am going with this? You now have 2 products to buy when using commercial soaps to equal what is in even just the very basic natural soap. With homemade natural soaps the glycerin is not removed so when washing hands or your body it’s like using soap and a conditioner or lotion all in one, wash after wash. Did you know that homemade natural goat milk soaps are even called “whole body soaps”? Our goat milk soaps can be used for not only hands and body, but face and hair as well! Ready to simplify your routine AND unclutter that bathroom? Since most detergents are nowadays camouflaged as soaps, it is sometimes hard to spot a natural milk based soap. Be a label-watcher! The best way to ensure you are using a soap that is going to prevent skin-issues and will CARE for your skin every time you clean in the shower and at the sink is to make it yourself or find a soap-maker you can trust (not all natural soaps or even goat milk soaps are created equal-more on this in just a bit).
A Natural Vitamin-Packed Moisturizer
In addition to the benefits of using a natural soap, using a milk soap has additional benefits. Milk soaps contain vitamins, minerals, triglycerides and more all just because it contains milk, without any synthetics or a chemist required. For example, one of the components in goat milk, and therefore goat milk soap, is capric-capryllic triglyceride, which is a known moisturizer. This natural fatty acid is so effective that it is chemically copy-catted so that it can be added into soap and other skincare and beauty products. Lactic acid, alpha-hydroxy-acid and more are also chemically produced to add to skin treatments because of their known ability to have special effects on skin. But goat milk naturally contains all of these things, in a way that works exponentially better when delivered the way intended vs the components individually formulated or extracted and then added back together. So now that you know even just a FEW of the benefits of natural goat milk soap:
What Does The Best Goat Milk Soap Look Like?
We think simple wholesome ingredients that you know and can pronounce makes THE best goat milk soap. Many people think that natural soap is natural soap is natural soap. However there can be a wide variance even just between goat milk soaps! When you go to surf the web or do a Google search for goat milk soap or go to a craft fair or farmer’s market you may see 3 or 4 (or more) vendors with goat milk soaps but the soaps and ability to nourish is more different than just the colors, textures and scents of each soap. We think that’s pretty cool and that variety is the spice of life, but we also think you should know why soap is not soap is not soap and what to look for to get The Best Goat Milk Soap.
soap is not soap….is not soap…and what to look for to get The Best Goat Milk Soap
- Goat milk (Our soaps are made with the raw milk from our daughter’s Nigerian Dwarf Goats that are raised outside, in the fresh air, on a large amount of pasture, doing what goats do best: Amusing us with their playful antics, tasting anything that comes their way whether that’s weeds or your shirt-tail and trying to escape any kind of containment like fences. Our girls do the milking and then I buy the milk from them to make soap).
- Nourishing oils (coconut oil, olive oil, shea & cocoa butter, lard, etc.) (EACH OIL has it’s own property and qualities that it will impart in the soap such as type of lather, hardness of bar, amount of moisturizing properties, silkiness, etc). We buy the very best possible oils that we can get (organic and pressed when available). We really do believe simple, wholesome ingredients make a huge difference!
- Lye (remember that this is absolutely required to make real soap but after the natural combining process of the oils with the lye to actually make it soap, the finished product has converted the lye so that all that remains is soap and glycerin and so may be labeled as “saponified oils”). We go a step further and add additional luxurious butters and oils so that your skin gets additional nourishment.
If you ONLY added the above items you would have a perfectly wonderful and natural goat milk soap (and we do offer a soap with JUST those few simple ingredients for purists or those who want a completely unscented bar) but even with JUST those basic ingredients above, it’s possible to have several very different soaps because of the different oils used in the recipe. To add even more variety, there is the addition of scent, color and texture:
- Essential oils & plant fragrances (used both for fragrant scenting and soul benefits (because studies have not been done to determine what the process of saponification has on essential oils I can not say that our soap has therapeutic or aromatherapy uses, even though we use only pure essential oils and plant fragrances in our soaps BUT I CAN tell you that the scents we get from using only pure essential oils and plant fragrances will make your soul dance or will soothe your soul depending on which scent or scent blend, because the nose knows! Our bodies have naturally been designed to LOVE fresh, pure fragrances! Go ahead and take a deep breath. You will know a pure, natural soap by the smell and the pleasure you get just from breathing in deeply!
- Color in our soaps comes from natural plant, herb and fruit powders and sometimes micas, the same ones used in mineral makeups. We love pleasing your eyes with dances of swirls and color mingles in our goat milk soaps!
- Texture (sometimes called exfoliators in the cosmetic industry) can come in many strengths and forms and doesn’t just mean “scratchy”. Some say that even just being a milk soap, because of the lactic acid naturally in milk, gives milk soap a gentle exfoliating quality but you would never feel that as the goat milk just adds to the creamy texture or feel on your skin. Sometimes we add Himalayan sea salt, flower buds or herbs, honey, oats, etc. for decoration as well as the texture or feel it imparts on the skin. So no matter whether you like the feel of silky & creamy lathering bubbles or the feel of deep clean you get with polishing with a sea salt bar, we have you covered, naturally.
So, Why Use Real & Natural Milk Soaps – Instead Of Commercial Products?
In the end, it’s simple and it all boils down to one benefit. A natural goat milk soap brings a lot more benefits all together. Using a natural cleanser for your face, body, and hands that combines essential and nourishing oils with the addition of goat milk therefore makes the simplest beauty recipe that will cleanse, moisturize and protect your skin all naturally without additional products required .
Already have damage to your skin from harsh detergents or conditions?
No worries! Sometimes we all need something a little extra, especially this time of year. We have goat milk body butters for just that purpose so that you can experience ALL those benefits of goat milk for your body and a face renewal which can be used every day on your face, even under makeup to keep your skin feeling soft and silky smooth! I’ll be writing a post soon specifically highlighting body butters.
Do you have questions about goat milk soaps? Have you tried a goat milk soap? Which is your favorite scent of soap?